Pages

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Addison Fox: Hearts

“Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable. – The Wizard”
L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


It’s February and that often means our minds are drawn to images of love. From cupids to kisses, February is the month we are culturally awash in love. Center to that are images of the heart. Pink ones. Red ones. Cut out, or hand drawn.

But what about matters of the heart? Cliché or no, we humans spend our lives living with the urges of our hearts. Who we love. Who we hate. What we wish for our loved ones and ourselves. The worries we carry and the joys we keep tucked away.

I thought about this as I visited an older friend in the hospital last night. She’s unfortunately had a series of health problems that have had her in and out of the hospital. Her prognosis overall is quite good, but it’s still a painful time. When I walked into the room, a few other friends had arrived before me and it was so wonderful to see her face lit up, joy in not only the company but the time others had given to make the visit.

It was also a reminder to me that love of others comes in so many forms. At this time of year we often tend to focus on romantic love, but our capacity for love and affection is so much broader, with endless dimensions.

One of the joys I find in writing is that I explore on the page the various things I wonder about, question and seek answers to. I’m amazed how often my work channels the joy I have of family life or personal experiences I can’t yet fully articulate with my own words. Conversely, so often the writing helps me deal with a concern I have in life or a particular problem I’m working through.

I find the same experiences with reading. I’m always pleasantly surprised how a particular book can speak to me at a particular time, at the moment I need to hear it.

Those experiences with the written word help dimensionalize, at least for me, this experience of life. What is truly an individual journey for each of us is somehow made a bit easier knowing others travel the same path. Experience the same joys. Ask the same questions.

Clearly I’m a bit reflective today and I do appreciate you joining me! I’d love to hear what you’ve got planned for February and what you’re looking forward to this month.

XO,
Addison



Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in Dallas and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her next book, COLTON’S SURPRISE HEIR, will be out in February from Harlequin Romantic Suspense. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com

No comments: