Pages

Monday, April 07, 2014

Treasure Box

I've been struggling with the wip. I mean really struggling. We all have days when the words just won't come, but I've been having weeks of those days.

I started out with this bright shiny idea, a heroine who didn't know she needed rescuing, a hero who rescues himself by helping her. I had a fabulous location - some great photographs to inspire me. And yet when I came to put it down on paper it all turned to dust.

I don't know why this happens. The story, the characters are still there, but maybe I'm tired, or suffering from SAD, or other family things are getting in the way, but I don't want to write.

Time to revisit Twyla Tharp's inspirational book, The Creative Habit. I need to start thinking outside of the box, but first I need a box. A pretty treasure box in which I can put all my inspirational stuff.

The photographs of Milan, pictures of clothes I've found on Pinterest for my heroine. Black things - because she's into black in a big way. Coloured things. Ribbon, lace, velvet. Little bits of clutter than gather in the bottom of my jewellery box for my heroine to use.

Lovely Italian things - food, fashion, style. Snatches of dialogue, glimpses of scenes, the smell of espresso, the taste of risotto Milanese, a view of snow-capped mountains and crystal blue lakes. A whole glorious sense of the story in my head that I can dive into.

What magic do you use to conjure up the inspiration muse when the writing brain has gone to sleep?

Liz's latest Harlequin KISS, For His Eyes Only, is on sale now at your favourite ebook retailer, or in large print paperback from Harlequin.com
  

No comments: